Famous representation of the two sculptures representing 'Marly's Horses' with the horses rearing and the grooms trying to control them, resting on a naturalist terrace animated by flowers and herbs and a molded wooden bases.
The original sculpture in Carrara marble, realised between 1743 and 1745 by Guillaume Coustou is at the Louvre Museum. The horses were commissioned by Louis XV to decorate the watering place located at the entrance of the Marly's castle. In 1794, they were transferred Place de la Concorde in Paris, then replaced with a copie in 1984. Guillaume Coustou's last work, 'Marly's Horses' knew a great success during the 19th century when some reduced scale replicas were produced, announcing the popularity of equestrian subjects amongst Romantic artists.
Dim: W: 7,1 in - D: 3,5in - H: 8,3in.
Dim: L:18cm, P:9cm, H:2