Ebony coffer from the Maison Alphonse Giroux, sumptuously decorated in gilt bronze and porcelain. The lid is richly embellished with rounded porcelain plates that are decorated with multicolored flowers in high relief. The flowers are set in white medallions that are outlined in gold and set in a sky blue background. The main face of the box features porcelain pilasters that are decorated with floral cartouches and topped with gilded, foliated capitals. Two larger medallions separate the pilasters and feature bouquets of flowers surrounded by gilt bronze flowers and scrollwork. The interior is also decorated with two medallions. The handles are the sculpted forms of cupids and foliage. Signed in counter-relief: Alph Giroux et Cie and 3 rue du Coq St. Honoré, Paris.
Around 1799, François-Simon-Alphonse Giroux (? - Paris, 1848) created a cabinet and furniture shop at 7 rue du Coq-Saint-Honoré in Paris. Although he was, for the most part, a merchant, he also commissioned his workers to create whimsical objects as well. His boutique prospered during the Restoration and included the royal family in its clientele. In 1838, his two sons, Alphonse-Gustave (Paris, 1810-1886) and André (Paris, 1801-1879), took over the business and developed it. They won a silver medal at the 1839 Exposition of Industry Products for the collection of their production that specialized in small furniture. In 1867 the business was sold to Duvinage and Harinkouk. Starting in 1870, it was managed by Ferdinand Duvenege, then by his widow from 1874 to 1882, and finally by A. Philippe and E. Arnut from 1883 to 1884. The House of Giroux closed its doors definitively in 1885.
Circa : 1860
Dim: 22.4 in, W: 10.6 in, H: 13.4 in
Dim: L: 57 cm, W: 27 cm, H: 34 cm