This enchanting pair of Restauration candlesticks is crafted of Paris hard-paste porcelain. Both lights exhibit multicolored decoration including oriental characters and a multitude of flowers on pink background. Each torch rests on a round foot decorated with a gilded frieze in relief. Marked underneath: "Cassé Maillard Bd Italiens n°19 Paris".
Dim: W: 4,3 in - D: 4,3in - H: 9,3in.
Dim: L:11cm, P:11cm, H:23,5cm.
In overall good condition, the nozzles with light wear to the gilding.
Cassé-Maillard or Chapelle-Maillard (1806-1856 ?) were two French decorators and merchants active in the first half of the 19th century in Paris, where they occupied different addresses: rue Quincampoix n°168, rue du faubourg Saint-Denis n°19 then n°14, and finally, boulevard des Italiens n°19.
The painter and gilder Chapelle settled as a decorator in Paris in 1806. A "Chapelle fils" had in 1814, rue Quincampoix, a decoration workshop where, in 1834, he employed 25 to 30 workers. At the 1834 exhibition, he exhibited some Jacob Petit's whites decorated by him. This painter-decorator Chapelle associated around 1840 with Mme Maillard "A la corbeille de fleurs", installed since 1819 at 19, boulevard des Italiens.
In 1831, the Almanach du Commerce mentioned "Cassé-Maillard", then that of 1840 quoted simultaneously Chapelle Maillard boulevard des Italiens, and Chapelle 19 faubourg St-Denis. The name Chapelle-Maillard was still mentioned in 1856.
An invoice of 1851 of Chapelle fils, listed the various fashionable trinkets: small rocaille candlesticks and flowers, clogs, paperweights, etc. Various hand-painted marks indicated the successive addresses of the two collaborators, and allowed to date a very careful production of table and ornamental pieces decorated with Chinese or other characters in the 18th century style.
Régine Plinval de Guillebon, Faience et porcelaine de Paris XVIIIe-XIXe siècles, Paris, 1995, p. 338 : Cassé Maillard (1806-1856?).