Pair of Medici vases with gilded rim, stem, and base. On the paunch of each vase are painted landscapes. On one vase is a rural valley with sheep grazing near a river and a chateau in the background. On the other vase is a view of a church and its associated buildings near a river lined with willows. Each scene is bordered with a matte gold frame bearing the inscriptions, "vue d'Achy" (view of Achy) and "vue du château d’Achy" (view of the Achy chateau). These are scenes from the town of Achy in the Oise department of France, about halfway between Paris and the English Channel. The church is the Eglise Saint Martin, Saint Fiacre d’Achy, and the brick chateau, built in 1750 for the Carvoisin family, still looks out on the Thériney valley. The chateau came into the possession of the Clermont Tonnere family through an alliance, and its most illustrious tenant was the Marquis de Clermont Tonnerre, the Minister of War during the reign of Charles X in 1826. Each vase features two handles embellished with intricately sculpted faces of fauns. Marked "Feuillet" under the base. Restauration period.
Dim: L: 9.8 in, W: 9.8 in, H: 13.2 in
Dim: L: 25 cm, W: 25 cm, H: 33.5 cm
Feuillet was a porcelain painter who was active in Paris. He directed a porcelain painting workshop around 1820 and was succeeded by Boyer around 1845, followed by Jacques and Boyer, Paul Blot and Hebert.