Late 19th century centerpiece crafted of white, blue and gold hard-porcelain by Samson Manufactory. It features two caryatids holding the pierced basket, highlighted with gold and palmette motif. The table centerpiece is set on an oblong base decorated with palmettes, above four lion paws. Stamped with a red apocryphal mark of the Manufacture of S.M. L'Impératrice "P.L. DAGOTY à Paris". Dagoty produced, with great success, similar fruit baskets, supported by caryatids, reproduced afterwards by Samson. These porcelain pieces imitating the models of the Dagoty manufacture (fruit baskets, plates, cups, table services) bear the same mark inscribed in red: "Manufacture de S.M. l'Impératrice P. L. Dagoty à Paris".
Dim: W: 13,4 in - D: 13,4in - H: 13,6in.
Dim: L:34cm, P:34cm, H:34,5cm.
In overall good condition, with small crack on the base and enamel default on one foot.
The Dagoty, rue de Chevreuse, 4, boulevard Poissonnière in Paris (1798-1820) Former students of Guérhard and Dihl, two of the Dagoty brothers took over a factory on rue de Chevreuse around 1798. Pierre Louis made it one of the most brilliant manufactories of the Empire period, and obtained the patronage of the Empress Josephine.
The manufactory was flourishing until the Restoration and, at the beginning of 1816, Dagoty joined Honoré père et fils, bringing together two porcelain factories in Paris, a factory in Saint-Yrieix and two stores on boulevard Poissonnière. This company closed in 1820. Pierre Louis Dagoty's production included porcelains with antique, Etruscan and Egyptian decoration, and presented a beautiful gold quality.
These refined porcelains were sold in the store on the Boulevard Poissonnière, one of the most elegant in Paris. Dagoty's porcelains were imitated throughout the 19th century.
Régine de Plinval de Guillebon, Faïence et porcelaine de Paris XVIIIe-XIXe siècles, Paris, Éditions Faton, 1995, pp. 339-341; Florence Slitine, Samson, génie de l'imitation, Paris, Editions Charles Massin, 2002, similar model reprod. p. 130.